Memorial of St. André Bessette: Family Reflection Video
More than a million people attended his funeral in the dead of winter in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Who was this saint and what do you know about him?
Did you know Saint Brother André Bessette was …
- Born in 1845 and died in 1937 at age 91.
- Known as le Petit Frere André, the miracle Man of Mount Royal.
- Orphaned by age 12.
- One of eleven children of a poor family.
- Initially rejected by the Congregation of Holy Cross.
- Admitted to the congregation after his parish priest successfully pleaded his cause by telling the superiors, “I am sending you a saint.”
- A doorman at the college at the foot of Mount Royal where he prayed and dreamed, healed and sacrificed, his whole life. Saint Brother Andre explained, “They showed me the door and I never left it.”
Please join me for a quiet moment to pray this beautiful prayer to Saint André Bessette together:
André, our Brother …
You knew how to pray…
In the midst of your tasks, in the quiet of night,
Deep in solitude, or surrounded by friends.
André, our Brother, teach us the words that nourish the soul!
André, our Brother …
You knew how to open doors …
To God’s healing grace,
To comfort the sorrowful and challenge the proud,
To bless the humble and lift up the fallen.
André, Our Brother, teach us to open doors!
You knew how to heal …
Saying, Go to Saint Joseph!
Bring him the sick, the troubled, the wounded,
The poor, the orphan, the dying, the sinner.
Andre, our Brother, teach us to pray to Joseph!
You knew how to love …
Our powerful friend in heaven above,
Head of the Holy Family,
Guardian of all families,
Protector of the Church,
Patron of a Happy and peaceful death.
André, our Brother, teach us to love Joseph, the Just man!
You knew how to welcome …
The rich and the powerful,
The poor and the miserable,
The learned and the unschooled,
Especially the simple, lost and forsaken.
André, our Brother, teach us to love them all without exception!
You knew how to dream …
Like Joseph your heavenly friend,
You listened with the ear of your heart
Like Joseph you heard the Spirit at night,
Saying build a great temple on Mount Royal
To honor Good Joseph and give Glory of God.
André, our Brother, teach us to dream!
You knew how to suffer …
To hope in the future,
Without complaint, without fear,
To stand firm, to face life.
You accompanied Jesus on the journey of the Cross,
Sharing his pain and his abandonment.
André, our Brother, teach us the power suffering in silence.
You knew how to live …
For the God whom you served,
For His Son Jesus, Our Lord,
and for Mary, His Mother and Good Joseph His foster father:
You were fearless because you knew God’s great love for you.
André, our Brother, teach us to trust in God’s love for us and live without fear!
- Seek the Intercession of Saint Brother André
- Father Willy's inspirational homily was recorded live this morning during Mass at the Father Peyton Center. Please view the video on our Facebook page. (You don't need a Facebook account to view.)
To view Rosary prayer and Mass streaming live, please visit our Facebook page at 11:30 am EST, Monday – Friday. Please invite your loved ones to join us too! (You don't need a Facebook account to view.)
About Father Willy Raymond, C.S.C.
Father Willy Raymond, C.S.C. is President of Holy Cross Family Ministries. He entered Holy Cross Fathers in 1964. He earned a Bachelors in Philosophy from Stonehill College in 1967 and a Masters in Theology from the University of Notre Dame in 1971. In addition to English, Father Willy is conversant in French and Spanish. He's a native of Old Town, Maine and one of 12 children. He remains a diehard fan of the Boston Red Sox, even though he has served as Chaplain for the Los Angeles Dodgers.